Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Walk of Unity 2012

Ron, Angie, Brooke, Elise, Yvette
I work for the Jasper County Public Administrator. Her name is Angie. (See above pic) Angie is an elected official of Jasper County. We have over 400 wards that she is guardian and conservator for. The majority of our clients are mentally incapacitated in some way. Many of our clients are elderly. We have a LOT of people in nursing homes, group homes, and living on their own with staff. One nursing home was completely leveled in the Joplin tornado, and several other nursing homes had major damage. We lost 3 of our sweet clients at Greenbriar on 26th Street and a fellow county employee was at Stained Glass Theatre on 26th St and lost his life. We walked in honor of our clients-Anna Pettek, Geneva Koler, Judy Smith and the very sweet custodian at the courthouse, Randy Mell. Angie had these shirts done for us. The walk started at 15th St Walmart and went to Cunningham Park-it was about 4.5 miles. (Thank goodness I've been walking!)

Before the walk started. At this point I had no idea so many people were here.
There were SO many people that came to the walk. I heard estimates from 6-10,000. I don't have any idea I just know there were a TON! I'm so proud to call Joplin my home. What an incredible turnout! People from all over the world came to walk in unity with us.

Just starting out. Sea of people behind us.
People were everywhere! I wish I would have taken pictures of some of the shirts I saw. I was asked if someone could take a picture of the back of mine. I saw the Geiser family, Jared Zamouski, Erin Replogle, Spencer Aggus, Kristin McCarthy-Perry, Terri Dresh and ton more people that I couldn't get to. I tried all day to find Emily Fish and her crew and never could find her.

Sea of people in front of us.
I'm not sure if you can see the light blue shirt in front of me in this one-but it was one of the babies that was lost in the tornado. I teared up just looking at their shirts.

I really love this tree.
This is an awesome tree next to the railroad tracks on 20th Street. It's painted up and looks so pretty.

Putting the steeple on the church.
As we were standing on this big hill at Joplin High School, we saw them take it back down. Who knows why. Funny though all the time it took to get it up there just to take it back down.
At Joplin High School.



They had part of the drum line as we were walking past the buses at Joplin High School. It was awesome!



The end of the walk was at Cunningham Park and there was a big ceremony that was awesome. Several good speakers.


Before everyone else got to the ceremony.
Brooke, Me, Yvette. I love these girls.




Can you see the bird on the stroller? He was so cute! (And real.)





Inflating the hot air balloon.

Hot air balloon. We were thinking it may not clear the power lines, but it did.






We only got to stay until right after the moment of silence at 5:41 pm. It was such a surreal moment thinking about what was taking place year ago at the exact time at that exact place. I'm not sure there was a dry eye in the thousands that were there. I am so glad our office was able to take part in the whole day. It was an experience I'm sure glad I have.

All the news trucks lining the roads. Joplin is a big deal. And I'm proud.

2 comments:

  1. I saw my mom's umbrella in the bus pic! It's the maroon and white one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! :) Thank you for being so excited about my blog Zelma! You're such a sweetheart!

      Delete